"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, August 1, 2021

July Wrap-Up: Cinematic Books and Bookish Cinema

Another definitive month for quality over quantity on the reading - while not quite a five-star read, Ace of Spades was captivating and played like a film in my head while reading (always a good sign) ... and God knows I would absolutely love to see Dial A for Aunties - one of my favorite reads of the year - as a film or even TV series. And having now finally read the first Eerie Elementary novel, the very cool illustrations inside have me totally wondering why this isn't an animated series on Fox or something, already!

On the flipside, while the Fear Street book series has been on my radar for years, I have not read one as of yet - but that didn't stop me from watching all three of the Netflix fiilms loosely based on the famous R. L. Stine horror series. While I expected a potential YA kind of experience, maybe with cheesy Disney Channel-style dialogue and humor, what I got instead was a terrific trio of bloody, visceral and well-crafted films, aimed for mature viewers and populated by characters you really about instead of just "victims" lined up for the slaughter. It was also nice to see the uncut AVP in its entirety at last, and to wind up the month with Peninsula - the sort-of sequel to the best zombie film EVER, Train to Busan - turned out ideal, as I liked the film much, much more than expected, via what word of mouth and reviews I'd seen.

My love of films aside, definitely looking to flip the script for August, no matter what, and get to more reading than viewing. It's getting to be the time of year when the best new book releases come out, and I hope to get at least a few under my belt. Happy reading and movies to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment