"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, January 3, 2022

December Wrap-Up: I Have NO Idea What Happened!

December was a blur about three days into 2022; other than a loss of income, meant a letdown on what I was able to do for those I love for the holday (I get so much pleasure out of giving gifts over gettng them) - then to find out two of my closest family members both came down with Covid ... well, seven books read and five films watched is better than goose-egging on either (click on any image to enlarge)!

That said, the books were a mixed bag - or, at least, as vanilla as the holiday: another Christmas cozy that ended up a disappointment (not a bad book, just not ... a standout among the cozy pack), and a YA mystery/thriller from a favorite author that, while good and a genuine page-turner, felt a bit of the same as her other books. Graphic novels about werewolfs and weredogs and Abraham Linoln helped, and a flying superhero pig - along with a near-wordless love story told with beautiful, watercolor-like artwork - certanly ended 2021 on a high note, at least!'

Film-wise: made my 50! My goal each year is to watch at least 50 new (to me) films, and I hit 60 on New Year's Eve with the original Disney telling of Peter Pan (correct - I had never seen the film, in its entirety, before). Three of the five films I watched in December were animated, actually, with a Wimpy Kid adaptation a bit wimpier than I would have liked ... and the charming Luka a wonderful watch, even if (once again( it didn't feel like it had much to it that made it stand out from the pack Add a truly disappointing horror movie, and fairly recent Woody Allen film that was not bad but very uneven ... and, well, my December for movies very much mirrored my 2021 of movies: some good, some bad, many just meh.

So out with the old, and bring it on, 2022! Have too, TOO many of my favorite authors with new books coming out next year; for those alone, cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment