"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Friday, October 1, 2021

September Wrap-Up: Mystery, Manga, and More!

Wow. Just when you thought your graphic novel/manga reading couldn't get any better. But first starting off with book two of Vicki Delany's Tea By the Sea cozy mystery series, Murder in a Teacup, I have to say that this being the only "adult novel" I read for September just spotlights that much more that it was such a good one! Truly, I can't get enough of this series - these characters - and as this is a fairly new release, I am only sad because book three is still a ways off.

And after declaring The Decagon House Murders Vol 1 as potentially my favorite manga/graphic novel so far this year ... September brings volume one of Creature!, an alien invasion manga I had NO idea was up into double-digits in volumes, already. The cliffhanger end of this one still hooked me badly, so I think I am doomed to go forward from here. Then to even ttop that, the love story of Beast Boy and Raven from DC was pretty much perfection, up there with Decagon! The budding relationship between these two potential superheroes just feels so authentic on the page, and Gabriel Picolo's art is no less than stunning. What a brilliant book. But DC also released Wonderful Women of the World in September, in honor of Wonder Woman's 80th anniversary, and it's a gem of a compendiium celebating women around the globe who have all created their own superheroic feats and accomplishments to help these world! Then, between book two in the Haunted Library series, the sequel to the wonderful Skunk and Badger - Egg Marks the Spot, easily as good as its predecessor - and the amazing Fan Brothers's glowing new picture book release (It Fell From the Sky) - well, let's just say September checked a lot of boxes for quality; much more so than most months, of late!

Thirteen reads in all .... which means no films for the month, but I hardly felt the loss; that's how good most of what I read was, and I hope you can get to most of them, too. Some reviews up, and others to come (but what else is new?), and as always click on any image to make it larger. Welcome, Autumn and Halloween season; my second-favorite time of year!

No comments:

Post a Comment