"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, September 2, 2021

August Wrap-Up: A Novel Concept

Much as I love middle-grade and YA novels, not to mention graphic novels and manga, I always feel a bit disappointed with myself when - at the end of a month - I have not finished more adult or narrative works (novels), for said month, as well. In the case of August, this hurts a bit less because the two adult novels I did finish - two of my most anticipated reads of the year - were, while still very good, slight disappointments from what I had hoped!

By contrast, I think I read what may well be my favorite manga/graphic novel for the year in August: The Decagon House Murders, Vol. 1. A very cool, very Agatha Christie-type mystery set on an island off Japan, based on the popular novel. Both story and art are brilliant, and UGH that cliffhanger it ended on! Can't wait for volume two; even better, should read the novel before continuing! Other graphic novel highlights, easily, included Old Head and The Bright Family, with The Little Yak easily leaping onto my list of fave picture books ever. So yeah, all in all a good month for reading, regardless of the material.

Films ... only two, both just okay but not bad. Worth checking out. The obsession remains with books.

As always, reviews to come - am working on catching up by year's end - so whatever you don't see reviewd here, please check back and be patient! Cooler weather coming, hope it brings equally cool books for us all ...

No comments:

Post a Comment