"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Reading: WITCHES OF BROOKLYN - Sophie Escabasse

1st Line: "Once upon a time n Ditmas Park, a calm neighborhood in Brooklyn ... "

Prose (Story): In this middle grade, first-in-a-series graphic novel, Effie - a young girl still reeling from the death of her mother - comes to live with her two eccentric aunts in Brooklyn ... and soon discovers their little quirks seem to include being a pair of practicing witches. 

Don's (Review): A sweet story about a young girl finding her place, and finding it in the magic community. Effie is an engaging character, her aunts even more so, and when Effie's favorite female pop star shows up on the doorstep of her aunt's home, seeking their special brand of help, the little girl and her two friends become even more involved in the proceedings. The artwork by author Escabasse is equally well-done, adding to both character development and story - and while I want to continue with the series in August, when book two drops, there was something about this debut that just ... didn't grab me. Much as I enjoyed the read on a surface level, a part of me fell just short of completely becoming invested in the characters and story, and to this moment I can't even fully understand why. I think kids will love it, and I myself will be doing a re-read of this one before book two releases - sometimes it's not the book, just the head-space you're in when you happened to read the book - but far as recommending, I think any middle-grade kid will enjoy it, and Effie especially, for sure; very well-done!  3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment