"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Thursday, October 1, 2020

September Wrap-Up: Escaping Into Fall

Ever seen the demolition of a building? The way they place the charges so that boom-boom-boom, one after the other down the line the explosions go off one by one, slowly dropping the building from one end to the other until the entire structure's collapsed in thick clouds of dust and grit?

Such was my September. But with the end justifying the means, I've finally moved. Not an ideal situation, but good for now I think. But as the air turns cold with fall, body aches and bad knees are reminding me how long it's been since I've lived in a cold climate - and winter isn't even here yet!

The good news: some really good books have kept me warm. A light month, in a way, it also found me reading maybe my favorite picture book of all time (The Barnabus Project - a must-have for any kid's library), another wonderful cozy mystery in V.M. Burns's Dog Club mystery series, a pair of even-better-than-the-original kid sequels (Ollie's Haffiness and the especially wonderful Revenge of the Living Ted), a cocktail book based on the popular "Peaky Blinders" TV series that had me salivating - and winding up with a brilliant new children's series opener (Skunk and Badger) as well as a pair of graphic novels, one of which became an instant favorite when I finished it in one sitting! Even better? The reviews for all but two of these September titles - as well as an actual film review from one of the two films I watched in September (#Alive and Forgotten, both Korean films) are already up, so hope you enjoy! And if in the mood for some terrific Halloween-style laughs, hunt down the TV series "Los Espookys"; am two episodes in of the six encompassing season one, and already find it outright hilarious at times!

I normally love fall. The brisk air, leaves changing color and crunching under your feet when you walk. My birthday is also in October. But wondering how the elections next month will go - not to mention COVID Christmas 2020 - has me more than ever realizing what a grand and glorious escape books are. Films, too. So here's to more escaping, for us all, for the rest of 2020! 

No comments:

Post a Comment