"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Monday, August 3, 2020

July Wrap-Up: Books Keeping Me Sane

Going back and forth from lack of concentration to living among the pages, I have to admit the only thing keeping me sane during this virus hell are books, films, and - to a lesser extent - some television.
July was a better month, reading-wise; also a month that saw me finishing a HIGHLY anticipated release that I actually found a little disappointing (Home Before Dark), as well as another new release that blew my mind and became one of my favorite books so far this year (Mexican Gothic). In between, fell in love with a new manga (There Are Things I Can't Tell You), read a terrific sequel I liked even better than its predecessor (Oddmire Book 2: The Unready Queen), and discovered the amazing artwork of the Fan Brothers (Ocean Meets Sky). Behind on reviews, as always, but with a laptop now hopefully can catch up on those quickly. 
No films again this month (SO unlike me), but being a huge fan of the Ju-on/Grudge films (the Japanese ones, not the ka-ka Americanized versions), I had to try season one (six episodes) of "Ju-on: Origins". Still mixed on how I feel about it, will be clearer in an upcoming review, but I do know that the violence level of one scene in particular came as a surprise. No, make that more a shock.
Already completed two books so far for August, hopefully a good sign it will be a good reading month. It's also going to be a big transitional month for me, so fingers crossed? Meanwhile, please keep you and yours healthy, happy - and MASKED! Please! And keep doing whatever you can to take your mind off all the craziness.

I do hope the rest of 2020 goes fast. Lordy, what a year ...

No comments:

Post a Comment