"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, July 5, 2020

May/June Wrap-Ups: On the Road Again

Apologies that it's been a hot minute since I did a wrap-up, but was without a laptop for over six weeks, during which everything from updating my blog to being able to apply for work pretty much put a big chunk of my life on hold (as if COVID-19 wasn't enough). Back up and running - to a degree - as you can probably notice by a handful of new reviews (expect more in coming days), but it's been a real slog.

May SUCKED, reading-wise; only four books (three of them for kids) because the month was nothing but a mess of turmoil and ... honestly, depression. Home, work, health situations; it was a month where pretty much nothing went right, and I was glad to see it go (although the mystery novel I finished was a corker and I hope to see more in that series; check out my My Fair Latte review!)
June? Better. With the help of some truly beautiful, generous friends I was able to get my head on straighter, lessening the stress that heightened the health issues, and also monetarily held a "fundraiser" of sorts to pull me out of this black hole - which also helped a bit, thanks to some amazing people who did everything from send encouraging words to PayPal-ing their support/belief in me. It continues to be genuinely humbling.

Reading-wise? MUCH better! Read what is so far my favorite read of the year (The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires), a mystery whose thrilling ending made up for an "okay" middle (The Guest List), a cozy mystery with more depth and pathos than you'd normally find in a cozy (Game of Dog Bones), and a coming out story about a teenage girl with so much heart, it ended up one of the best middle-grade novels I've read since my own childhood (In the Role of Brie Hutchens). Any reviews you don't see for these titles, check back; will be up shortly (and click on either image to enlarge, if needed)!
Also finally got back into the movie game in June as well, thanks to a 7-day free trial of Disney+ - again, reviews to come - also on Netflix watched all 12 episode (about a half-hour each) of a very intriguing Japanese TV drama called "Erased", about a pizza delivery guy who can briefly go back in time to right wrongs ... but must do more than that to change things when his own mother is murdered. Again, reviews to come with all.

July is off to an okay start (think I have a work-from-home job that starts 3 August!), except somehow with next to no money I have to find a new place to live by the end of the month. Considering all options, while trying not to consider the ones the depression side of my mind sometimes dwells on. All I can say is ... never trust anyone, even family. Especially family.

But if it all works out, hopefully will see you again in about a month. Still trying to fundraise my way to getting life back on track, just asking $5-$10 each from anyone who can help, via PayPal at showbizbuff@gmail.com if you are so inclined!

If not, no worries - am just glad you are here and care enough about what I write, read, and watch to come back. Here's to July!

No comments:

Post a Comment