"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, May 5, 2019

April Wrap-Up (Or, Where the HECK Did the Month GO??)

Swear to God, the month of April lasted about two weeks. Illness and work both changed my daily habits this past month, and I found myself getting next to nothing done during the week because I'd come home so mentally/emotionally wrecked, I just wanted some food and bed. So much time wasted, will try to turn it around in May! The amount of reviews I am behind, alone (even from March) has me disgusted with myself.
The two novels I was determined I would finish in April are still alive and well on my Kindle, as April seemed to be the month for graphic novels. Please check back for individual reviews of the books pictured above (clink on any image to enlarge, as always), but for sure I feel the need to stress that Bloom was one of the sweetest, most heartwarming stories I've read in awhile - maybe my favorite graphic novel of all time - and I am still on the hunt for volume two of My Brother's Husband because wow did book one end in a cliffhanger of sorts (and while I got book one via the library, they don't have book two and manga tends to be pricey)! My love of unicorns - even slightly snarky ones - was reaffirmed via Unicorn Bowling, volume nine of the various collections available about the equally-snarky Phoebe (think a low-key female Calvin, as in Calvin and Hobbes) and her best friend ... my love of potatoes severely diced (get it?) via a young chef named Yasmina and the conspiracy she discovers in part one of Yasmina and the Potato Eaters (another cliffhanger of an ending). Lastly, I'd kill for an executive assistant like Iris, knowing she too would kill for me!
Films? Only five, but from horror to life-affirming dramedy to South Korean horror-comedy, my eclectic tastes were still reflected. And though I've strayed far from TV these day, I have a few to mention in upcoming weeks; ones I'd easily recommend to those actually not living/breathing every day for the next "Game of Thrones" installment.

A few complimentary ARCs in April only added to my TBR Mountain, so best get off here and work on either finishing the creepy kids book I am nearly done with, or getting caught up on a couple reviews here, at least. As always, I hope your reading month of May is nothing short of incredible, with maybe a few worthwhile films tucked into the mix!

No comments:

Post a Comment