"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" - Jorge Luis Borges

Sunday, February 8, 2015

HERCULE POIROT'S CHRISTMAS - Agatha Christie

In time for the holidays, re-read this great locked-room puzzle that's a bloody (literally) good time.  Rich, old Simeon Lee, on Christmas Eve, has gathered together all of his estranged children and their mates, in order to stoke old resentments and put his "worthless" sons in their place.  When crashing furniture and a piercing scream send everyone in the house to Simeon's room, the old man is found in a mess of overturned furniture and broken crockery, his throat cut - and the room locked, with only Lee's body inside.  There wasn't even enough time for a murderer to do the deed and escape, but as Hercule Poirot aids in investigating the crime, he finds that old family hatred goes deeper and wider than anyone can suspect.  Another great puzzle by the Queen of Crime, and even with a bit of a fantastic ending it's still great fun getting there.  ****

3 comments:

  1. I just received the movie version of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been ages since I last read an Agatha Christie mystery. She was one of my favorite authors when I was a teen. I should re-visit some of her books this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I have never been a big fan of Agatha Christie, not Poirot or Miss Marple. Never really found a connection. Having said that, this sounds intriguing with an "impossible" crime. I might well give this a go.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete